Want a quick easy and healthy dinner? Try this one! I was a little bit skeptical because the ingredients didn’t seem to go together but I took a chance. I did make a few adjustments. The first time I made it I didn’t have sun-dried tomatoes so I used some sun-dried tomato spread that I usually put on greek-style naan pizzas. I also skipped the asparagus and it turned out wonderful. It was so good that it was all gone before I even thought about getting a picture. The second time I had the sun-dried tomatoes but I forgot we ate all the cashews. I took a quick pic of the second attempt which doesn’t look as good as it was the first time around. Just trust me, this recipe is much better than my photography skills – or lack thereof.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, not reconstituted, julienned
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup roasted cashew pieces
- 6 green onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
In a medium pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add sun-dried tomatoes and continue to cook for 1 more minute. Add broth, wine, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Stir in quinoa and simmer on low heat, covered, for about 20 minutes, or until quinoa is almost tender.
Arrange shrimp on top of quinoa in pot and simmer for 3 minutes. Add asparagus and peas on top of the shrimp and simmer for 3 more minutes. Top with cashews, green onions and parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Source: Whole Foods